Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tilapia Provencal

Wellll.... I guess they all can't be what we like. This had a couple of ingredients I'm not sure what they are, outside of olives and herbs. Call me a silver-haired menopausal blonde if you will... it's what I am. LOL Kalamata olives. Is that a brand? A type? Green? Black? I don't know, I've never heard of a Kalamata olive before, that I recall. It said pitted and I figured a black olive, but then I've seen green olives with pits in them as well. Herbes de Provence. Another brand? I've never seen that in the grocery stores I've been in, Kroger, Wal-Mart, Knights, Sam's. Course, I've never looked for it and it may have been there and I just didn't see it. Wouldn't be the first time for sure. LOL

Denny just plain didn't like it. Mom said it was ok but it wouldn't be something she would fix. It was ok, my rice wasn't done quite enough although it cooked long enough, more than called for, even. The fish tasted fishy. I have no clue why, but it could be tasted through all the herbs and spices and onions and tomatoes.

We all decided the dish might be ok with chicken breasts rather than fish. I might try that sometime.

Tilapia Provencal pg. 32, Woman's World, Mar 1, 2010 issue

2 Tbs olive oil 1 onion, chopped (1 C)
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano 1/2 C pitted KIalamata olives, halved
1 tsp dried herbes de Provence 4 tilapia filets
1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh parsley and cooked orzo, optional (it also suggest serving over whole0grain couscous or brown rice, I used the brown rice)

  • In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbs oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices, olives, and 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 minutes.
  • Transfer sauce to heatproof bowl; carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towel. Sprinkle tilapia with salt, pepper, and remaining herbes de Provence.
  • In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add tilapia; cook, turning, 3-4 minutes per side, until browned and just cooked through. Pour reserved sauce over tilapia; heat 1 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley and serve over orzo.
I did something wrong, I don't know, but this just wasn't a favorite meal tonight.

::: off to look up herbes de Provence and Kalamata olives ::: Am I the only one who doesn't know what these are? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment