Saturday, February 6, 2010

Breakfast in the morning!

Ok... so breakfast is usually in the morning. I had to put some title up there and that is as good as it gets today.

So this morning I decided to try what was for a Saturday morning in my menu thingy I fixed up and we had had that one last Saturday, it was good, by the way and will put a post in for that later, and found some that I hadn't fixed for breakfast yet, that was on the meal planner for breakfasts during the week. Yeah... I'm slipping already, following the meal planner. LOL

I fixed Cajun Corned Beef Hash. I even bought Cajun seasoning for it, along with frozen hash browns and a tin of corned beef. I liked it. But then, I like almost, I said almost, everything. There are things I won't eat and not even try. Maybe someday I will try. No promises. Denny said it was good. Mom said it was ok, it wasn't her favorite. Denny ate it so he must have liked it somewhat, or he wouldn't have eaten it at all. The dogs loved the left overs, although there wasn't too much left over! LOL

Cajun Corned Beef Hash pg. 138 in the Taste of Home Winning Recipes cookbook

6 C frozen shredded hash browns, thawed 1/4 C butter
1/2 C each green onions, sweet red pepper, green pepper 1 tsp salt
finely chopped 3/4 chili powder (ooops)
3/4 tsp Cajun seasoning 1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 C cooked corned beef 1 Tbs white vinegar
8 eggs
Additional Cajun seasoning and hot pepper sauce, optional

Cook hash browns in butter in large skillet until almost tender. Stir in onions, peppers, and seasonings. Cook until has browns are lightly browned and peppers are tender. Add corned beef; heat through.

Meanwhile, in a skillet with high sides, bring 2 - 3 inches of water and vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently. For each egg, break cold egg into a custard cup or saucer, then hold the cup close to the surface of the water and slip the egg into simmering water. Cook 4 eggs at a time, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, about 3 - 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove each egg. Repeat with remaining eggs.

Serve over the hash mixture. Sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning and serve with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

Editor's note: If poaching eggs using a metal poaching insert, increase poaching time to 6-7 minutes.

ahhh... did you see that (oooops) up there in the recipe ingredients next to the chili powder? Yep... I didn't see that so it didn't go into the food. It still tasted good to me! There is also a knack to poaching eggs in water this way! I don't have it. LOL I did it, but there were lots and lots of floaty egg whites in the pan. OH! And watch out for cleaning the pan afterwards! I used a stainless steel pan and had to really use powerful elbow grease to get it clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment