Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Got a Cookbook for Christmas

I've used cookbooks before, but hubby has really liked this one. It's the Taste of Home Winning Recipes cookbook, and the recipes in it are really pretty darn good.

I don't think it matters that I've used recipes from Taste of Home magazine, before, he likes THIS one.

I thought one day that maybe instead of waiting until the last minute and think... "what shall I fix for supper?" and everything I think of be in the freezer, I'll make out a weekly menu planner!

Riiiiiiiiight.

First big mistake, I made the planner for all three meals of each day and I didn't factor in left overs. So... my planner is stretching over two weeks. LOL IF I even come close to sticking to it.

ANYway... hubby is in the "I don't like chicken" stage of his life. He's been there for several years now. He gave Mom the cookbook and said "It's your turn to choose what we'll have for supper tomorrow night." Guess what she chose... yep, chicken.

So, I followed the recipe for Oven Fried Chicken, page 222/223 of the Taste of Home Winning Recipes cookbook. He liked it! He even complimented me on how good it tasted. ::: thud ::: YAYAYAYAAYAY It is good and I'm glad he likes it cause we have more chicken in the freezer. :)

Here's the recipe:

Oven-Fried Chicken
2 C flour 2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs pepper 1 Tbs dried thyme
1 Tbs dried tarragon 1 Tbs ground ginger
1 Tbs dried mustard 1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp oregano 2 eggs
1/2 C milk 1 chicken, cut up
Oil for frying

Combine the dry ingredients; store in an airtight container. In a shallow bowl,l beat eggs and milk. Place 3/4 C coating mix in large resealable plastic bag. Store remaining mix in the container for future use. Dip chicken into egg/milk mixture and add a few pieces at a time to the bag and shake to coat the chicken.

Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides; transfer to an ungreased baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 45 - 55 minutes, or until juices run clear.

I will definitely be using this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment