Monday, February 22, 2010

Farmhouse Ham Chowder

Good stuff! I'd never made a chowder before in my life and I didn't know what to fix for supper tonight and was browsing through one of my new magazines and there it was. Yeah! I can do that one. I didn't have the celery and I didn't have vegetable broth (I used beef broth instead, chicken would have worked, too). It still turned out good!!

Farmhouse Ham Chowder pg 74, First for Women, Mar 1, 2010

1/2 lb green beans, trimmed & halved 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 C)
1 C each chopped carrots & celery 2 Tbs butter
1 1/2 lb baking potatoes, peeled/cubed 1 container (32 oz) vegetable stock
2 C milk 1/2 lb smoked ham, diced
1 Tbs each, chopped fresh parsley and dill

In saucepot of boiling salted water, cook green beans 2 min. Drain. In pot over medium-high heat, cook next 3 ingredients in butter for 2 min. Add potatoes, stock, and milk. Over high heat, brin to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover; let simmer 20 minutes. In blender, puree 1 1/2 C mixture; stir back into pot. Add beans and last 3 ingredients. Cook 2 minutes.

Serves 4

I cooked the beans longer than 2 minutes... they were frozen and I know Mom does not like crunchy veggies. If they are cooked veggie, they are supposed to be COOKED until they are soft. I also put the put the green beans in with the milk and stock and cooked them in there with the carrots and onions.

Try! Enjoy!

See... I have fallen off the menu planning big time. LOL Had to figure out what to have for supper tonight! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment