Friday, February 12, 2010

Artichokes Au Gratin

I'd never made an artichoke dish before. I don't have a clue why. But, I found this recipe and it looked easy enough that even I could make it, and it sounded good, too. I made it. It's good! I didn't mess it up, although I did mess up the kitchen! But then, that is a normal thing. It's back to the dreaded clean-up after cooking. I do try to put things away as I am finished with them and wipe up messes as I go along, but there is still that clean-up thing after it's all finished. Such is life. :)

Artichokes Au Gratin pg 271 Taste of Home Winning Recipes
recipe by Marjorie Bowen, Colorado Springs, Colorado

2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and quartered
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 C butter, divided 1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbs all-purpose flour 1/2 C shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1/2 tsp salt 1 Tbs dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper 1/8 tsp paprika
1 1/2 C milk

In a skillet, saute the artichokes and garlic in 2 Tbs butter until tender. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish.

In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add 1/4 C cheese, stirring until melted.

Pour over artichokes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Combine crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment