Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sour Milk Griddle Cakes/Mix

I found this recipe after searching for pancakes in the book.... of course I found it under griddle cakes. It makes some very good pancakes! ooops... griddle cakes, I'm sorry. I figured... hey... instead of grabbing the cookbook and mixing it all together, why don't I mix the dry ingredients together and save it as a pancake mix and use it as needed. I wouldn't have to buy pancake mix, either! (can ya tell I don't like processed foods?) LOL

I found the recipe in The Household Searchlight Recipe book. I did, of course, change it a bit. LOL I'll type in the book's version and put my amended part in with it. It isn't big. LOL I use the mix for pancakes and waffles, both.

Sour Milk Griddle Cake Mix

2 C flour (I use 1 C white, 1 C wheat)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 C sour milk
1/2 C sour cream (I don't use this all the time)
1 egg, well beaten

Sift flour, measure,and sift with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sour cream, egg, and sour milk. Beat until smooth. Bake on hot griddle. 16 servings.

Now...what I do is mix all the dry ingredients together, put it into a plastic bag and seal it. On the bag I have written to add 1 egg, 2 C sour milk, 1/2 sour cream.

Sometimes I add the sour cream, sometimes I don't. I also let it set for five minutes after mixing before I put it in the pan or waffle iron to cook. It will usually thicken up and if it is too thick I add a little more milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment