Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chocolate Brownies

The best I've ever tasted or made, I love these brownies. And no "hydrogenated" anything. Unless you use the "hydrogenated oil/butter substitute". I use butter. Yes yes... animal fat product, but I like it and it's so much better than fake stuff.

I found this recipe in The Household Searchlight Recipe book, 1941, pg 132. When I looked for a brownie recipe in the index I couldn't find it. I looked under Brownies. Wasn't there. I did finally stumble upon it in the Cs, Chocolate Brownies. Of course! Why didn't I think of that! LOL But I did find it. I've used other brownie recipes since I found this one, but always go back to this one. It does take a little while to get it put together, but well worth it. mmmmmmmmmm....

Chocolate Brownies pg 132 The Household Searchlight Recipe Book

2 squares chocolate 1/2 C cake flour
3 eggs 1 C chopped nuts
1 C sugar 1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C butter

(I use cocoa, hubby doesn't like nuts so I usually don't add those, and I use about 3/4 C sugar. Yes... I play with the recipes.)

Melt chocolate and butter over hot water. Beat egg yolks until light. Add sugar, salt, chocolate, and butter. Mix thoroughly. Sift flour. Measure. Add flour and nuts. Mix thoroughly. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into shallow, well-oiled pan. Bake in moderate over (375 degrees) about 15 minutes. Cut into squares. Cool. Remove from pan. 8 servings.

I think I cook it a little longer than the 15 minutes. I will just have to make it again to find out. LOL It has been awhile since I made brownies!

No comments:

Post a Comment