Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Creamed Beef on Toast

AKA, SOS, AKA, S*** or Stuff on a Shingle

This was one of my dad's favorites, and I have always liked it... and hubby does, too. Thing is, you can use ground beef, little packages of chipped beef/sliced beef, corned beef, eggs, whatever. And it's good. Some people, my grandmother was on, would have the meat browned, the milk added and heated up and sprinkle flour in all the stuff and stir it up and it would turn out great. Me... I do that and I get lumpy gravy/sauce/whatever youwanttocallit... a mess. LOL  Soooo... I always mix up my flour with milk in a cup before I add it to the skillet.

Note: no measurements, I just guess...

Brown about a pound of hamburger and diced onion in a skillet, drain it well. Add salt and pepper, garlic if you're a garlic nut like me, and some milk. Heat. Mix some flour... ohh... 3 Tbs maybe, and some milk in a cup. When the milk in the skillet is hot/close to boiling, pour in the milk and flour mixture, stir, stir, stir until it thickens, turn the burner down and let it cook some more. If it's too thick, add some more milk. If it's too thin, mix a little more milk with flour and add to the skillet.

While you are mixing and stirring and banging on the pots and pans, don't forget to toast your bread! LOL  When it's all ready, spoon the mixture over the toast on your plate. mmmmmm...  mmmm.. mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment