Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chocolate Syrup

ahhhh...  you've just run out of syrup for your ice cream.  What to do!??!  We always mixed a little cocoa, sugar, and milk together, very little milk, and did with that. But... I found a recipe for chocolate syrup on the web, where else! LOL  And I made it last night. I made sugar free, we have the other stuff still, for my mom, and it tastes pretty good for being fake sugar.

I was looking at the ingredients on the sugar free syrup bottle, and this syrup is made with the ingredients of that, minus all the other unknown stuff....sorbitol (a laxative, no less), caramel color (who needs caramel coloring in chocolate syrup??), phosphoric acid (HUH??), xanthan gum, acesulfame potassium, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. That stuff isn't in the recipe.  YAYAYAYAYAYA  Just have to store it in the fridge.

Chocolate Syrup M.A. Flickety, Lillian May, and more, I'm sure


1 C unsweetened cocoa                  2 C sugar or Splenda
1/4 tsp salt                                      2 C cold water
1 Tbs vanilla

Whisk together cocoa, sugar, and salt. Whisk in cold water. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking to combine, until thickened. Let cool, add vanilla. Store in the refrigerator.


I washed out the sugar-free chocolate syrup bottle and put the good stuff in there and stuck it in the fridge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment