Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mush Buns!!!

I have SOOOOO been looking for this recipe on the internet... have not found it. It may be out there someplace, but I haven't found it. My  grandmother would make these when she drove up to visit us in Illinois from Florida when I was a little girl and I could hardly wait for her to make them. I LOVED them. In the 1977 she told me the recipe and I wrote it down and when I made it, it just didn't seem like it was going to turn our correctly, what with the 1 cup of water and 1 cup of corn meal, and maybe other things that weren't quite right. LOL Mind you, I didn't try making them right away, it was YEARS until I was brave enough to do that and by then she was no longer here to where I could ask her what I did wrong.

My sister-in-law found the recipe in her cook book, written in my grandma's hand, and gave it to me today and I HAD to post it here, AFTER I typed it and saved it into my computer in case I lost the paper. :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. I am gonna have to buy me some white corn meal now. YES!!! :)


Mush Buns

1 qt boiling water 1 scant C white corn meal
1 tsp salt ½ C sugar
1 C shortening 1 pk yeast dissolved in warm water
1 C flour

Add corn meal to boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and add salt, sugar, and shortening. Let cool and add the dissolved yeast and flour. Let rise then add more flour to make dough stiff enough to knead, but not too stiff. Knead until it does not stick to hands using more flour when necessary. Let rise in greased mixing bowl, covered and placed in warm area until doubled.

Punch down, roll dough out to ¼ inch thickness, cut with large cutter and let rise on greased cookie sheet. Making sure the buns do not touch, bake in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until nice and brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment