Friday, August 13, 2010

Chocolate Cookies

ohhhh,,,, just makes the mouth water saying what they are... Ccchhhhhooooooocolate... yeah... that's it, say it with me... cccchhhhooooooooocccolate cookies! mmmmm..

Hubby wanted me to make some chocolate cookies for him so I found a recipe. He said he likes flat cookies. So, ok, the first pan didn't turn out really flat, so the rest I flattened with a fork dipped in sugar. I found the sugar keeps the dough from sticking to the fork and making a mess of the cookie.

Chocolate Cookies The Household Searchlight Recipe Book, pg. 125 14th printing, 1941

  • 6 Tbs butter or butter substitute
  • 1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 6 Tbs milk
  • 1/3 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 C chopped nuts
  • 3/4 C sugar 
  • 1 egg, well beaten
  • 1 1/8 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Melt chocolate over hot water. Cream butter and sugar. Add chocolate and egg. Mix thoroughly. Sift flour, measure, and sift with baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk to first mixture. Add vanilla and nuts. Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto well-oiled baking sheet. Bake in hot over (400 degrees) 10-12 minutes. 30 servings. If desired, cookies may be iced.

So... I baked them in the 400 degree oven. It was too hot and the bottoms of the cookies were pretty dark, even being chocolate. This time I turned the oven to 350 and moved the rack up to the middle of the oven. Is working great. I've been baking them for 10 minutes. The first time I made them the dough was so thin, not like cookie dough I usually make so I added some more flour. Of course, didn't add the nuts since I'm making them for hubby and he doesn't like nuts in his cookies. Silly man.

AAANNNND of course, I used cocoa instead of the chocolate squares. This time I doubled the recipe and did you know that 12 TBS equals 3/4 C?  I didn't either so looked it up on the internet. I didn't want to measure out 12 tablespoons! 9 TBS equals 1/2 C + 1 TBS. Looked that up, too. LOL 

Did you know that adding melted butter to the already mixed mixture is harder that to add it when you are supposed to add it?  Yeah!  uh-huh... I forgot to add it to the sugar and cocoa mixture. LOL  It turned out all right, anyway.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment