Oatmeal-Date Cookies Favorite All Time Recipes: Diabetic Desserts, pg.18
- 1/2 C packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 C margarine, softened
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 TBS thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C uncooked quick oats
- 1/2 C chopped dates or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Beat sugar and margarine in large bowl. Add egg, egg white, apple juice concentrate and vanilla; mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and dates. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
I used a bigger than a teaspoon to put the dough onto the cookie pans so it made 2 doz cookies, and some dough left over that I ate. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good. I couldn't see breaking up a good egg and used two whole eggs. I also used real butter and I didn't have frozen apple juice concentrate so I used 2 TBS regular apple juice. I did use raisins and dried cranberries instead of the dates. Who has dates!?
I think next time I make these cookies I will add a little more apple juice to make the dough a little moister, the cookies turned out pretty dry. Unless I should add more butter, I never know! LOL Maybe some apple sauce would work! I will not add 2 tsp baking soda next time I make these.