Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Basil Pork and Green Bean Stew

We all liked this one, even Denny. Mom liked it, in spite of there being basil in it. She says she doesn't like basil but when I do put it in food she always likes whatever it is I put it in. She's entitled! She is 90 now! : ) This was also a good stew because it's a stew that doesn't have CARROTS in it. Mom just does NOT like carrots. LOL

Basil Pork and Green Bean Stew Favorite All Time Recipes: Everyday Diabetic Recipes pg. 48

  • 1 pkg (9 oz) frozen cut green beans
  • 3 1/2 C peeled red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 lb trimmed pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 C no-sugar-added pasta sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBS chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
Microwave Directions

Place beans in 10 t 12 inch microwavable casserole. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2 minutes. Drain in colander.

Using same dish, microwave potatoes, covered, at HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in pork, beans, pasta sauce and salt. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir in basil. Microwave 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender and meat is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 6 servings

OK, that's the recipe. I... didn't follow it totally. Do I ever????  First, I didn't have any pasta sauce. I could have, and usually do, use tomato sauce and doctor it up with spices to make the pasta sauce, but... I grabbed a can of tomato soup instead and doctored THAT up with Italian spices. LOL  I added some orange pepper cubed and some onions, too. 

I, also, didn't have Parmesan cheese. I did have shredded Swiss cheese, though, and sprinkled that on top the finished stew. AND... I didn't have pork tenderloin so I used pork chops. OH!!  I only microwaved the potatoes until soft; otherwise I used the stove top. Let's see... anything else?? 

Everyone liked it. Even Denny. YAYAY  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment