Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Grain Free Sandwich Bread

 WOW... I have not posted in here for quite awhile! And the last thing I posted was the bread recipe... and yes, it did turn out good and I was in love... ok... sorta in love... kinda hard to be in love with a loaf of bread or the recipe for it, but I do/did like it a lot.  :)

I'm posting another bread recipe... the original modified greatly and I made it today and thought... these last two years, all these Paleo, grain free, gluten free bread recipes I've tried, the flours, the blends... the ones that were half way decent, the ones that were good, and the ones I tried and threw out, either from the original recipe I used or with my modifications. And then I tried this... *sigh*  So far, so good. I will find out how the bread holds up to a few days after being baked. But, so far, so good. And I even cut into it while it was still HOT out of the oven and the bread didn't fall apart. The top didn't even cave in while baking or after I took it out. And it tastes good!

Ok, here is my greatly modified recipe of the original recipe posted below this. Does that make it my own recipe??  I'm not sure, but here it is.

Grain Free Sandwich Bread

2 1/2 C raw, hulled buckwheat flour
1/2 C arrowroot
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (I haven't tried using gelatin instead of xanthan gum yet)
2 tsp sea salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 C warmed sour milk
2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 C avocado oil
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a loaf pan with butter.

Get your sour milk into a 2 C glass measuring cup and warm it up in the micro-wave or in a pan and warm it up on the stove. Not too hot, just right. Don't want to kill the yeast. Add the 2 Tbs of yeast and 1 tsp of sugar and stir it up until it's well mixed, set it aside.

While the yeast and sugar are doing their thing, put the rest of the dry ingredients into a good sized bowl and mix well. When the yeast stuffs has set awhile and blended and maybe even bubbly (my yeast stuff never has bubbled for me before but it did today and the last time I mixed it with sugar, maybe that's why... I didn't add sugar?) anyway, add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, add the eggs, the oil, the vinegar and mix it well. I just used a wooden spoon.

You should have a pretty thick batter/dough, pour/pull out with a spoon into the bread pan, cover with a clean dishtowel and set it aside to rise a little above the loaf pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees. After that time is up, check it and if you need to, put some foil on top so it won't get too brown. Then continue baking until it has been a full hour (total time) for baking. Remove from oven, turn the loaf pan upside down and oust the bread from the pan and let it cool.


Odds & Ends Notes: Raw, hulled buckwheat flour... can't find it?  I get the buckwheat groats and use my Magic Bullet or coffee grinder and grind it till it's a fine flour. Not hard, doesn't take a lot of time, less expensive than getting the light buckwheat flour when you can find it. I found it online once, do not remember where, and it was expensive. I have bought Bob's Redmill buckwheat flour but it is dark and things turn out dark and sometimes not appetizing.

I very seldom put anything on wire racks to cool. I have from time to time and getting better at it, but usually I don't. Hence, I don't always add that to the recipes I write out.

I let the bread dough rise a little but above the pan, I will see if it will rise a little further next time, it doesn't take long. With the flour mixture from the original recipe I think it is a more delicate flour blend and letting it rise too high will cause it to cave later. Maybe.

My bread using the above recipe didn't cave while baking, it didn't cave when I took it out to cool, it didn't fall apart when I sliced into it while it was still HOT from baking, and it wasn't all kinds of gommy on the inside. Granted, I've only cut two slices from it so far, haven't actually gotten to the middle yet, but if it's a bit gommy in the middle when I get there, I will just bake it a little longer and hopefully it won't be next time.

I do want to try using gelatin instead of xanthan gum sometime, I just haven't gotten around to it, yet. There's that danged round tuit, again.

I haven't tried toasting it, yet. I'll get there.  That's another round tuit thing.


If you're brave, give it a try!! If you aren't brave, give it a try, anyway!  LOL  :)

   

Day old home made bread alert!!  Yep, it is your typical day after baking dryness. Soooo... bake it in the morning, eat during the day, evening slice it, wrap each slice in wax paper, stack, slide a plastic bag over the stack, tie it with a tie and stick in the freezer. Take out how ever many slices you're going to want each time. Fresh bread.   :)

ADDED:  Okay... am learning a new blend of flower, 2 C heavy (buckwheat) to 1 C starchy type (arrowroot or corn starch or tapioca, etc.) I will try this blend soon. I've also read that to keep things a little moister, use more oils. I will have to look that up again, after I find it again. LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment