Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chili in a Pinch

Didn't know what to fix, didn't really want to cook. LOL  Soooooo.... Chili!!  of course!  Besides... it just sounded good and we hadn't had any in awhile. I wasn't going to make too much, I usually make a HUGE pot, this time just a semi-huge pot. LOL

I looked in my pantry and there were no cans of beans! On NO!  :::: gasping ::::: What to DO!  I know.. some folk don't put beans in the chili, but I like beans in my chili. aahhh... look there... we have pork 'n beans!  I wonder if I can use that in chili. So I tried it. I sure didn't have to put molasses in it. I usually do, but not this time.

Chili in a Pinch
1 onion
1 pepper (green, yellow, red, any or some of all)
1 to 1 1/2 lb hamburger
2  16 oz cans pork 'n beans (cheap stuff works great)
1 14 1/2 oz can tomato sauce
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1 bottle beer
1 bay leaf
chili powder to taste (I use tons of it)
ground cumin to taste (I use quite a bit of this, too)
garlic powder to taste
salt, pepper to taste

Brown the hamburger and drain. Chop the onions and peppers, add all the ingredients and stir together. After it gets hot, cover with lid, turn the burner down to low and let it cook for about an hour, or more. Stir it ever so often.  Taste it to see if you need to add more chili powder or salt or something. Serve. Save the left overs in the fridge and it tastes even better the next day.

Denny really liked this!  I didn't tell him I use pork 'n beans, he woulda not liked it if I had told him before hand. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment